Tuesday, April 1, 2014

This Week at Nana's


Weather Update
April is here!


Weather wise, it was a beautiful week here in the city of Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Actually, I'm just saying that to encourage the thought of good weather. Really, it was very windy. The mornings are still a bit cold but it warms up by lunch time. I love to sit on the porch in the mornings and have a cup of tea but it is still too cold for sitting on the front porch. Once the warm weather kicks in the humming birds will flock around the lilac tree in the front yard. That is always fun to see. The robin birds are here and can be spotted in the front and back yard. 

Its perfect weather for kite flying!


This week Nana longed to be on a golf range. Having fun with this golf crew.

Chip Out! LOL!




Outdoors Update
Since it has been so dry and windy I have been watering the front yard. The ivy are looking very dry. I better pray for some rain. It is April and I do expect showers. The lilac tree bloomed last week but this week it is in full bloom. The smell of the lilac blossoms is amazing. I hope the neighbors are enjoying how awesome the flowers look. LOL. Well, with the front yard being all dirt, I am just happy that something looks good in the front yard. :)


See all those elm blossoms on the porch? They are swept away only to return the same day. They are everywhere!
 The pumpkin plants now have buds on them. Pretty soon it will be time to put them in a big planter or the garden. The butternut squash have buds on them too. Gardening is so much fun. 
Pumpkin Plant with Buds.


Pet Update

Its been pretty quiet around the house. Wheezy makes a little noise when Missy is thinking about attacking the cage. Stupid cats don't realize that the bird in the cage is not accessible by pouncing upon it. Twice Missy has jumped up on to Wheezy's house and knocked it down making a huge mess and one terrified bird. I will knock on wood because this has not happened for a while and I hope it does not happen again. I try to pay attention to where Missy is in the house and I listen to Wheezy's warning chirp. Mauricio is getting fat. Too much lettuce? Im not sure but man oh man is he plumped up. Maybe its the carrots. LOL. I think Nana is feeding him too many snacks. Note to Eve: Mauricio loves pineapple. You were right. :) I need to clean Tucks tank this weekend. That is such a chore. It takes me a good hour to clean the tank. The hard part is putting the rocks back in the order that Tuck prefers. So silly, but I guess he say, "Who rearranged the furniture in my house"? LOL. I keep forgetting filters at the store. I need ginkgo. 

Mauricio looking for a snack.


Wheezy the Jail Bird
Nothing new to report. Wheezy is just enjoying life. I bought Wheezy a new treat to help with training but wheezy is frightened of it and wants nothing to do with it. Its called Millet Spray. 



Looks like something from a Dr. Seuss book. LOL. I guess they have holders for this Millet Spray. Whacky name. I will try to figure out a holder for it. I think Wheezy just has to get use to it being inside his house. I see videos of people holding millet spray and their bird eats it from their hand.


Neighbor Update
I keep seeing Mrs. Pocheco out on the porch for a tiny bit. I love how she always wears the matching shirt and pants. She is so cute. The neighbors at the corner in the two story house (Skinny Ding Dong -AKA Pedro's house) have had a new baby this year and I have not seen too much of them. However, they must be doing some remodeling because they have thrown a bunch of construction trash out onto their lawn. Henry across the street is still the quiet neighbor. I'm sure he has a sick relative or friend living with him because I see nurses coming by to visit during the week. Sam has moved out of his house and that was a shock. Its a scandal. LOL. Georgie tells me his new neighbor across the street is very nice and has started to fix the yard up. Georgie, Kathy, Johnny, Levi, and Brian and Dorothy just came back from a trip to Sin City to watch the Lobo's play.  Everyone had a great time and nobody got rich. Georgie is going in for back surgery soon and has to use a cane to walk. I did not think he would be able to go to Las Vegas but he pressed on and went. He was not able to walk much but managed. His friend Tocho went too. I have not seen Carmen for a while, she usually stops by once a week. I need to get over to Georgie's to visit everyone. 

What Cats Do When Your Away

They make toast!!!


This week, I cooked up low calorie cream of broccoli, low calorie cream of spinach soup and spicy bean soup (I added 1 cup of cooked brown rice and diced tomatoes). I have learned how to make small batches of soup and not the giant family size. Usually, its just enough for two servings. As you can see from the pictures, I did bake a carrot cake. I replaced flour with oat flour and it was NOT a flat mess. The oat flour was made in my kitchen in a food processor. Oat flour works really well with carrot cake.  This was the first gluten free cake I ever made. Carrot cake is another wonderful way to get some vegetables into a dessert.  Im sure the oat flour will work with Zucchini cake or banana cake. :)

 Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting.

Nana's Messy Desk Area
What Nana Has looked at lately on the World Wide Web











WEIRD VIDEO I'VE WATCHED

Im not sure if I should feel sorry for him or that possibly I don't get it.
http://whatsgoingonwithnana.blogspot.com/2014/03/this-week-at-nanas_27.html