Thursday, April 10, 2014

This Week at Nana's


Weather Update
April is here!
BEAUTIFUL! The local weather people keep saying wind, wind and more wind. Old news to me. The weather here in Albuquerque has been warm and breezy. No coat needed. I was at Home Depot this past Sunday buying some fancy soil mix and the garden center cashier said it was like working in a wind tunnel there. She said it was even windier in Gallop, New Mexico and the wind had blown the shingles of her families roof. I remember last year was really windy about this time of year. 





Garden Plants Update
Transplanting the seedlings into bigger containers to grow stronger.

Finally, the seeds sprouted into plants and have grown enough to move them out of their little cups into bigger containers. After they grow in the house for another month I will move them to the great outdoors. Really, I could grow them in the house and they would be just fine but Im looking forward to adding some green to the backyard. The above picture is a couple of pumpkin blossoms. Pretty cool indeed. Two blossoms had opened up a few days ago. That was spectacular to see in the morning.



I have little recycled plant containers all over the house. Chile peppers, red peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, eggplant, pumpkin, butternut, spaghetti squash, zucchini and pineapple. I have plants in the kitchen, on my desk, on Tuck's house and in the den's upper windows.  It took me most of an afternoon to transplant everything. I only lost 3 plants in the process they snapped in half at the stems as I was moving them out of their cups. Boo whoooo.


Kitchen window. Tomato plants. This camera that I use is terrible 
and makes everything dark even though I use a flash. 
Stupid camera. LOL!

Outdoors Update
Exciting project going on. I am working on a fun garden project for the back yard. I will post pictures as soon as I can. It will be a few weekends before its finished. Sarah, you will love and laugh at this...yes, crates are involved in this project. Crates are awesome! Wait and see. :) The Grands should know that Nana and their Mommy can build. We built this cabinet and crates were used to hold up the wood as we constructed the cabinet. Its a terrific family furniture piece.  I wish I could get a better pic of the cabinet but this camera wont cooperate. LOL.

Pet Update
All the pets are doing great. They have clean cozy houses, lots of snacks and love. Skinny Ding Dongs - Aka Pedro has not come over this week to share a can of tuna with Mean Missy. They must be holding him hostage in the house. I have not seen him at all. Missy has been hanging outside a lot because its been really nice out. I dont like when she stays in at night because she wakes me up at 4 or 5 in the morning to go outside. Missy thinks the early bird gets the worm. She tries to hunt but she is really bad at it. Skinny gets his food by visiting all the neighbors. LOL. 


Neighbor Update
A new neighbor in the house next to the old Yager's house has two little dogs and they yap all day. I love how people go to work and leave their dogs out in the hot sun to bark all day. I sure hope they do not plan to make that a habit. They are cute little dogs but noisy. I dont think you know who Rob is, he is the guy with chickens and the garden in his front yard. That's so Whacky but I guess the backyard has chicken coops. Its so funny to hear his roosters and see chickens in his front yard. Its not like we live in the country. Anyways, once again he has been doing some gardening in the front yard. Maybe he will grow some more sunflowers. He usually has a front yard full of sunflowers each year. Last year, Rob grew his own green chile and Georgie roasted it for him. Good news for Georgie sort of I guess, He will not have to have back surgery. He has arthritis and now has to do some physical therapy for his back. 

There is a house its beyond that tree. This is the image Google has for the house.
 Someone out there is taking terrible pictures for Google Maps. Man oh man, is that tree huge.


What Cats Do When Your Away
Those are NOT cats! Silly dogs. 

 When your away,cats take selfies!


Cornbread is just so easy to make and goes with almost anything. I baked giant cornbread muffins in my jumbo muffin pan. The soups this week were minestrone and vegetarian tofu pasole. I'm still on the soup and salad plan. LOL. That's going okay, but I did break down and had some doughnuts. They were light and fluffy and probably had no effect on me what so ever. NOT. LOL.

Golden Corn Muffins

3/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 tsp baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Pre-heat oven to 350*

Mix and sift dry ingredients; add milk, egg and shortening. Fill muffin cups 1/2 full. Bake at 350* for 15 minutes. I normally, double up this recipe when making corn muffins.


What Nana Has looked at lately on the World Wide Web

 
Willie Is Better Than Your Cat

Karate Rockstar?

Homemade Pendulum Marble Clock

Quick Crew Dance Team





Sometimes, I watch videos of The Pete Holmes Show.
http://whatsgoingonwithnana.blogspot.com/2014/04/this-week-at-nanas.html