Friday, April 18, 2014

This Week at Nana's



Hello to Sarah and Grand Babies!

Weather Update
April is still happening here!




This past week was just lovely. No coat needed. I even got a bit of sunburn on both my arms. Note to self, put on sunscreen before gardening. Albuquerque weather man, Mark Ronchetti, predicted rain but no rain came my way. I just have to say, the weather was pretty nice. I hope it was nice in your area too.



Garden Plants And Outdoors Update
I still have a good project going on in the back yard. I will post pictures soon. Sunday, I spent the afternoon gardening in the backyard and Im sure the neighbors enjoyed me being out there. Their dogs barked all afternoon and not once did they tell their dogs to stop barking nor did they take them in the house. Crazy dog owners. The owner did come out then went back inside. Oh well. Anyways, I had to battle the wind, the sun and two little barking dogs but I got a lot done. I looked like a million dollars after I finished that days gardening. I had dirt all over me and weeds in my hair too.  Sorry, I dont have a picture of me being a farmer. Use your imagination. LOL. Gardening can be dirty but its fun. The plants inside the house are all growing pretty good and they are getting stronger each day. The tomato plants are really getting big. I am watching the plants closely as to not over water or under water them. I placed most of them in the windows or near windows to get some good sunlight. I had sprouted some more spaghetti squash because I want to grow a ton of squash! LOL. I have no clue where I am going to plant the squash but I did see this amazing video of someone that hung squash maybe I can do something like that with the squash plants....Im just thinking here. BUHAHAHA.

Owens Project

I found an interesting video of an upside down garden. I would see this as a fun way to garden for every vegetable plant but squash or gourds. Jason has an awesome garden. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xw7zFOHpOg

Pet Update
I confess,  Im sure I am guilty of over feeding the pets. Guilty as charged. Mauricio is seriously a chubber wubbers. He is a big fluffy ball of love. I just love him. He just hangs out and watches me go about the house doing this and that. He seems to get really interested when I sweep or mop. Come to think of it, Mr. Tubbs likes to see the house get swept and mopped too. Lets face it. Its very boring for them and Im really the only amusement that they have. Things will get more interesting for the pets when the Grands come to visit this summer. Tuck is enjoying life. He is so easy to take care of. I did have to move his sun bathing stone over so that he would fit on it. He has really grown. Someone was over feeding him. I cant help it. He looks hungry. LOL. Mean Missy has been enjoying the sunshine and warm weather. Not really. She is guarding the house to keep Skinny Ding Dongs AKA Pedro out of the yard. She is mad because Skinny ate his plate of tuna and her plate of tuna. Skinny does not understand sharing. Anyways, they both have to eat outside on the porch because they had a cat fight in the kitchen. Crazy cats. LOL. Thats Skinny at the door in above picture. He is giving me the sad kitten eyes.
Wheezy the Jail Bird
I have the quietest bird in the world. I'm not sure what happened but the training has made him too quiet. I better find out whats up with that. A quiet bird is just not right. I gave up on the weird Millet Spray snack sticks. Wheezy did not want anything to do with Millet Spray. I still work with Whezzy each day and he seems to like the pretty talk and he is not afraid of my hand. I can put my finger right next to him. I can tell he wants to step up onto my finger but he is not sure about it.  Will I ever get him to step up? Who knows. Maybe he does not know why that lady keeps saying, "Step Up". LOL.
Neighbor Update
Nothing. Nada thing going on in this neighborhood. Boring. The neighbors across from me did clean up the construction junk in their front lawn. That was awesome because I was sure it was going to be there for a long time. Shame on me for thinking like that. Henry had parked a golden yellow refrigerator on his porch and I was sure he would leave it there...forever. Shame on me for thinking like that. But one morning at 2 a.m a loud boom was heard and I think he rolled it  off the porch to his backyard. I cant see it and that's what matters. LOL. Good job Henry. I have not been out to visit anyone this past two weeks. I feel bad for not visiting. I feel really bad when I drive by and I know Georgie and Carmen are saying, "I cant believe she just drives right by without stopping to visit". I'm not being a good neighbor. LOL.


This week I baked up a small casserole of eggplant parmigiano. Other then that dish, it was mainly a soup and salad week. I did manage to break away from my traditional soups and cooked up a small batch of split pea soup with potatoes and carrots. That split pea soup turned out pretty good and I would make it again. This is the recipe I used. I added potato to it and I cut the recipe in half because one person cannot eat that much split pea soup! http://unprocessedpeople.com/?p=545
I did NOT bake any cakes, cookies or pies but plan to whip something up this weekend. Let me know if you have a good recipe. I would be happy to try it. I am always looking for new dessert recipes. That's the great thing about the Internet, recipes are shared.  

DON'T FORGET TO EAT YOUR VEGETABLES! :)

Greek-Style Pita Pocket Recipe
  • ¼ cup chopped romaine lettuce
  • 2 Tbs. crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 Tbs. chopped black olives
  • 1 Tbs. chopped jarred roasted red peppers
  • 2 tsp. Good Fat Dressing
  • 1 whole-wheat pita pocket, cut in half



Videos I watched this week and said "NO WAY". LOL.