Friday, March 21, 2014

This Week at Nana's





Weather Update:
ITS Still MARCH!

Sunny in Albuquerque, New Mexico. No snow or rain. Still windy. The mornings are very brisk and chilly, but by noon it warms up. I love to open the back doors and let the fresh air come in, along with leaves and dust. LOL. Its okay, I have a vacuum.
Nana does NOT like the wind it blows sand in her face and messes up her hair everyday. LOL.

You too can look like a 1970's aviator. LOL.


Outdoors Update:
Not much to mention in regards to the outside. Im still waiting for March to finish. Im looking forward to April showers. The wind has blown buckets of elm tree blossoms along the house.  Pollen is not my friend.
Ahhhhhhchewwwwwwwww! The sprouting plants are still doing well. I am working on controlling myself to NOT over water the plants. I poked a hole into the bottom of each plant cup and added another cup to catch the drain off of the excess water. Lately, I have been visiting online garden sites that promote home gardening and the idea of families growing vegetables. With so many families having difficulty feeding their families it just makes sense for families to grow their own produce at home in gardens or containers. This year, much of the vegetables that I grow will be given to neighbors and to the Albuquerque Mission and the Store House. As far as the Bonnie and Clyde bad doggies, I did some research and found that dogs do not like marigold flowers, vinegar and ammonia. I could spray vinegar around the plant areas. I think the vinegar would be a good option.There may be hope for the garden.





Pet Update:
The pets are all doing just fine. Mauricio, Wheezy, Tuck, Mr. Tubbs, Goldie, 
Mr. Poopers, Zander the Betta and Mean Missy are happy and loved. I have been putting water and cat chow in Skinny Ding Dong's bowls and leaving them on the porch.  During the day, Skinny AKA Pedro, has been seen cat napping in the brown comfy chair on the porch .



 
 Tuck having his daily walk.

Kids, Eat Your Veggies!!!
 

What Cats Do When Your Away



 


Animals Can Be Jerks!


This week, Nana was very good and focused on exercising and eating healthy. Mainly just eating soups and salads with only vegetables for snacks. No bread or tortillas. It was a boring cooking week for Nana. This weeks soups cooked in my kitchen were, minestrone, low cal potato corn chowder, vegetable barley, and hot and sour soup. The hot and sour soup was accompanied by baked egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard. 

See Nana's Top Recipes for the sweet and sour sauce recipe.

Easy Baked Egg Roll Recipe

I used this recipe,  Healthy Vegetarian Egg Rolls from Skinny Kitchen

I omitted the broccoli slaw and snap peas and these babies turned out to be delicious. This is a perfect healthy light lunch or dinner. I made one mistake while cooking the hot and sour soup. I rubbed my eye after dicing a jalapeno. Yes, it burned and blinded me immediately. What fixed this? A cotton ball soaked in milk. My advice is to not rub your eye after dicing a jalapeno. 

This Week - My Pick for Amazing Person in Video Land

150 Pounds Before and After Weight Loss

https://www.youtube.com/user/DivaSlimsDown

Motherly Advice :

"When your mother asks, 'Do you want a piece of advice?' it is a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway."

Erma Bombeck

http://whatsgoingonwithnana.blogspot.com/2014/03/this-week-at-nanas_16.html