Friday, March 27, 2015

Sloppy Lentil Joes, Potato Wedges, Tabouli Salad, Baked Falafel, Hummus and Pita Bread

















I am eating the weeds!

I was very happy to see the backyards dandelion patch is sprouting up with a good covering of young dandelion leaves. Each year, I look forward to that dandelion patch . Its like a gift from God. The leaves can be eaten in salads or steamed and served as a side dish or dried for dandelion loose leaf  tea. Dandelion tea tastes very good and even better with a bit of vegan honey. Dandelion tea is a benefit for your body because it purifies the blood and cleanses the bodies system. Dandelions are amazing.


WEATHER UPDATE:
SPRING IS HERE!
As I drive around Albuquerque, I see the purple plum trees in full bloom along with the snowball trees. Its a beautiful sight to see. Spring is in the air and I'm looking forward to some hiking and biking. I'm enjoying this March weather. The days have been ranging 65-70 degrees with light wind and sunshine. I just could not ask for better weather.


That's Amusing:


 True Life Story. As you know, I have written before that Rob my neighbor has roosters and chickens in his yard. Sometimes, I see them in the road but they pretty much stay in Rob's yard. A couple of days ago, I came home to see two giant roosters across the street in Henry's yard. I said, "Oh no, Rob's roosters have wondered away". I grabbed some oats from the kitchen and went across the street and fed the roosters trying to lead them back over to their yard. I had no success as they would not budge. I went home. I looked out later and they were gone. The next day, I spoke with Henry and he wanted to know if I called the police on him for having roosters. I laughed, I told him , "No, I love roosters". I also told him I tried to move his roosters to a new home! We had a good laugh. Henry said, "That explains the oatmeal". There is a lot of crowing going on in the mornings and afternoons around here. I don't mind.


Garden Planning:

Well, Im at it again, planning out what I will plant out in the back yard for my container garden this growing season. I cant just harvest dandelion leaves. LOL. I just do not want to plant traditional seeds, but I guess its best to grow what you eat. Maybe, I should stick to the basics. I save many different kinds of seeds and I have heirloom seeds too. I should use what I have and not start buying weird seeds. I am still considering mushrooms. If I can find a good price on a mushroom kit then I will give it a try. I think the Grands would love to see some mushrooms grow.


PET UPDATE:


Currently, The pets that I have consist of a sweet bird, a mean cat, a giant fish, a big goldfish, a tetra fish, and a happy turtle. All the guineas have expired. Its very sad and I miss them, the three amigos. As Raven says, "They lived a good long life and enjoyed a lot of carrots and celery". 

" Mean Missy" is a hog! LOL. She has been eating at my house and Chuck's house. Chuck feeds all of the cats in the neighborhood. He has a big pan on his porch and he fills that each day. He also puts a handful of cat food up on the side ledge of his house for Missy. Chuck says that she is mean to the other cats so he feeds her separate. I dont know why she is so mean. She needs to work on being nicer. LOL.



Housekeeping Made Easy:

Stain Remover ( Shout)
  • 2/3 cups Dawn Dish Washing Liquid
  • 2/3 cups ammonia
  • 6 Tbsp baking soda
  • 2 cups warm water
Mix everything together and pour into a squeeze bottle. 
TO USE: spray on stains normally. Let soak few minutes. Chocolate stains take a little longer. Rub fabric together.  

*** This works and you can save a huge amount of money by making stain remover at home.***


Sharing Bookmarks


 









 Sci Fi Fun Facts
11 Science Facts that Seem Like Science Fiction.
Internet Alarm Clock
For the PC Geeks - Best VPN Providers for 2015


Weird videos I watch on the Internet:

Waffle Vs Pancake


Will it Cereal?




I'm continuing to encourage my family and friends to give up some fatty foods and try eating healthier foods, such as more greens, potatoes and legumes. Why not give it a try. You will see a healthy change in your body and feel better too.

Sloppy Lentil Joes
This is a very good recipe. Serve it with a side salad or bake up some potato crispy wedges on parchment paper. Hold the pickles. :)

3 1/3 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 ½ cups dried lentils
1  15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Place 1/3 cup of the water in a large pot.  Add the onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onions soften slightly, about 5 minutes.  Add the chili powder and mix in well.  Add the remaining water, the lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings.  Mix well, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for 55 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve on whole wheat buns.

 Bake wedges on parchment paper at 350* for 15 minutes on each side for crispy goodness.

Tabouli Salad

1 cup uncooked bulgur
2 cups boiling water
3 tomatoes, chopped

1 cucumber, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup chopped fresh mint
½ cup lemon juice
fresh ground pepper to taste

Place bulgur in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it.  Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.  Transfer to a colander to cool and drain. 
Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables and place the in a separate large bowl.
Combine the drained bulgur and vegetables.  Add the lemon juice and pepper to taste.  Mix well and chill before serving. 
Serve tabouli with pita bread, falafel and a side of hummus and that will make a beautiful Mediterranean lunch.

* Bulgur is a cereal food made from the groats of several different wheat species, most often from durum wheat.

Baked Falafel

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
salt and pepper


Some people add 1 tablespoon of tahini sauce but I never seem to have that ingredient in my kitchen. I do add a tablespoon of dried fenugreek leaves (smells like curry powder). You could also add crushed red pepper flakes or jalapeno powder.

Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend well. Shape into ping pong size balls and place on an oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350. Bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, then bake for another 15 minutes.

Serve in a pita pocket or on top of salad. Dress with vegan ranch dressing or Tahini sauce. 
 Tahini Sauce

¼ cup tahini
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 Tbsp water
Dash of salt (optional)

Place all ingredients into a bowl and stir. Serve over baked Falafels.

Hummus
Ingredients
* 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
* 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* 1/2 cup soft tofu
* 1/3 cup of warm water
* salt

Preparation

Add to food processor garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice, tofu, water, and salt. Process all ingredients. Adjust salt to taste.

How to make pita bread.