Thursday, December 18, 2014

This Week at Nana's - Soft Sugar Cookies

WEATHER UPDATE:
Cold mornings and cold wet days.
Rain and snow clouds have been looming over us this week. We received rain and a tiny bit of snow. Only 1 hour away from us is Santa Fe, New Mexico.They have been getting some good snow and its sticking to the ground, Albuquerque's snow melts fast. I had to pull out the old umbrella twice this week. That was fun. It always just feels good to know you planned for rain and when it came you were ready with your handy dandy pop up umbrella. A great invention that gets little applause.


This is my friend, Sydney C.'s house. The snow did not stay too long. She was getting snow at her house and I was getting rain at mine. 





OUTDOORS UPDATE:

Seriously? Sorry, but in my yard, there is nothing exciting going on in the front or back yard. Every perennial plant that I have is in winter mode, hibernating till Spring. Sadly, I do not have a winter garden outside. Winter gardening is very popular and the best place to get advice for that is the Horticultural Channel.  Im posting this link for anyone interested in dealing with plants and frost in their winter garden. Click Here.


INDOORS PLANTS UPDATE:


The indoor veggie plants are not getting too much sun with all the cloud cover but they are still growing. I don't spritz them with water anymore because they need more water, instead I give them a good drink of water each morning, careful not to over do it. I don't want any mold to grow on the top soil.






 Interesting.

PET UPDATE:


 
 
Tuck the red eared slider turtle still enjoys his walks around the house. I couldn't get him to hold still for a photo, so I videoed him and he did not mind that at all. Missy knows not to mess with Tuck but watches every move Tuck makes. Mauricio is great. He enjoys when company comes over he gets treat and curls up under his blanky. Mr. Tubbs is okay but his water is still looking cloudy. I even changed out the filters again. Ive done all that I can with it and just have to wait it out to clear up. 


Housekeeping Made Easy:   


Salt: Keep Windows Frost Free
Pour a cup of salt into a liter of water. Sponge the liquid onto the inside of window to prevent frost from forming during the winter months.







What Dogs Do When Your Away



 
This past week, what I cooked up in the kitchen was mostly Southwestern cuisine. I made a cheese enchilada lunch for a couple of friends. I made a batch of tamales for Joseph. I made tacos and I baked cheesy bean burritos for Miss Raven. She likes bean burritos and it nice to see her eat something different from Ponyo noodles.



The Grands like the soft cookies. This cookies recipe is the absolute best soft cookie recipe for rolled sugar cookies. Exactly like Grandma's Sugar Cookies. I usually frost them with melted white almond bark and sprinkles.


 Soft Sugar Cookies

  • ⅔ c. shortening
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅓ c. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Beat shortening and sugar together.
  3. Add eggs, milk and vanilla
  4. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  5. Slowing add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
  6. Mix together until you can form a large dough ball.
  7. On floured surface, roll out dough ball until about ½ to ¾ inch thick.
  8. Use cookie cutters (or rim of a drinking glass) to cut cookie shapes out of dough.
  9. Place cookies on lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
  10. Bake about 10-12 minutes. 

Weird videos I watch on the Internet:














Fast Food.



American News is Crap.

Levels of TROLLING.

http://whatsgoingonwithnana.blogspot.com/2014/12/this-week-at-nanas.html